The insistence upon exalting athletes and selling dreams of everything from Olympic gold to Ivy League college admission is turning sports into a miserable experience, especially for us parents and our kids. Also, Bull Durham is one of the best movies ever. Also, how do you explain 9/11 to a second-grader?
This episode has some audio glitches that I hope to squash in future episodes. At one point, I think I picked up some extraterrestrial communications. If the aliens invade, episode 3 of this podcast might take a while.
Links from this episode:
- Sports Song by Weird Al Yankovic, which will make you laugh
- Breathing Underwater by Metric, which will make you think
- Still Fighting It by Ben Folds, which will make you cry
- Peaceable Kingdom by Rush, which will make you wonder
- A look at the cost of Nationals Park
- My resource page for examining the U.S. women’s soccer team’s “equal pay” pursuit
- Database on Title IX compliance (as it relates to sports, not education or opportunity)